Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Semana Santa

Last week we celebrated the major Costa Rican holiday of Semana Santa.

One of the most important aspects of Semana Santa is the traditional food.

First, I learned to make tortillas.

Then we sat together for a delicious meal. Here is my host family: father, grandfather and little brother.

Next we built a carriage for my host nephew to ride in the Semana Santa procession. Here is my host mother (top left) with her sisters.

On the weekend we went on a beautiful hike up the mountains in our town.

Here I am with my host brother who is 4 years old.

And here´s the family with the abuelitos (grandparents) and view of San Jose.

On the hike we picked lots of wild berries.

And came home and made delicious blackberry refresco.

Later in the weekend I helped my host grandfather make carbon from wood at his carbonera.

Here we are gathering the carbon to sell.

And finally, before the weekend was up, my host grandfather taught me how to play guitar! I am very excited to hone my new skills...

3 comments:

Johanna said...

woohoo! Go Jenny Go! I love the blog - it is such a treat to see all of your pictures as you are living these fantastic experiences. Keep posting! And please, please, eat some fried plantains for me! They were my favorite staple in the good CR.
life in medschool has gotten extremely more exciting as I am running world health week this week - and have the much welcomed opportunity to shut off the memorizing part of my brain and to turn on the more global, worldly part. It makes me smile that while I am sitting here thinking and dreaming about world health, you are out there doing it. I love it.
Love love love,
Johanna

Hermit said...

Hey girl... Looks like you are having a lot of fun!!!! I am soooo Proud of you... Feels rather good to know that this experience is turning out to be so valuable :):)Make new friends and have a lot of fun... Keep posting and enjoy yourself... Love you...

Unknown said...

this looks like such a great experience! and this picture is one of my faves! :)
i hope all is well!!
~Maris